Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Guest Post 4 - Meet Amber !!

Hellow !!
How is everyone?? 
Yeah I know, long time,no see. Was busy studying and didn't have time to spare for my blog. So I approached the fabulous Amber of Amber's Mouthwash to do a guest post for my neglected blog and she agreed!! Yay!! 
Meet Amber. She is one of the sweetest people I have known on blogsphere with a totally amazing fashion sense. She is the first person who made me want to turn my hair into messy curls. She is not just a fashionista but is also magical with her camera,often have I drooled over the photographs she took. Her talents don't end with that!! She also owns her own etsy shop called Amberie Boutique where you can find the cutest stuff from jewelry to shoes to clothes. No more from me,lets go to what Amber has to say-


Hello readers! My name is Amber, author of the personal fashion blog Amber's Mouthwash. Swarnali has kindly asked me to write a guest post for her, and I couldn't be more thrilled. As a fashion blogger I am always looking for creative ways to shop my closet. While I would love to be able to purchase new things all the time, it just isn't practical. I thought I would share with you some of my self taught tips on how to make getting dressed fun!


How to shop your closet 


Organize by color
I have been doing this for years. Not only does it make your closet more appealing to the eye, it also shows you what colors you wear (or purchase) the most. Simply organize by color, length, and then style. For the longest time my closet was notoriously 1/3 pink, and had absolutely no yellow or black. When you know what colors you have the most of, it makes shopping easier ("I know I have enough pink, but I need to start working more green into my wardrobe..."). Another perk to organizing your closet this way is it makes getting dressed easier - what color do you want to pair with that orange sweater? Blue? It's all there and easy to compare.






Put all your favorites in the front 
My closet it is pretty wild - but in a good way. Have a peek in there and you will find vintage sequin pencil skirts, neon dresses, sheer cut-out blouses, leopard print coats, and tulle skirts. I simply wouldn't have it any other way. I also have have a hard time buying "basics". Why would I want to purchase a button down collared blouse when there are fun floral socks to be had? Dressing should be fun, and I don't have time for the boring. At least that's what I tell myself when I shop. It's in the mornings that I sometimes find that that way of thinking gets me in trouble. The simple solution is to hang your favorite "home" wear next to your favorite of favorites. When I'm not organizing my closet by color, I'm taking all my absolute favorite, crazy pieces (cropped faux fur vest, anyone?) and putting them up front, and all my cozy, comfy "i could live in these" tees and sweaters in the other half. Grab one item from side A, and another from size B and you are good to go!






Don't be afraid to wear it again
We all have outfits that we love. We feel great while we wear them, and it shows. We're actually sad when we have to take them off at the end of the day, and we secretly wish we could wear them again - tomorrow. Well, I've got great news! There is no rule anywhere that says you can't wear it again! Think about your favorite outfit: what is it that you love so much about it? And then think of small variations you can make to it. Can you wear it with flats instead of heels? Can you wear a little sweater over it? What about accessories? Soon you'll have your favorite outfit looking new again.




Get rid of the Lurkers 
A great way to keep your closet feeling fresh and not boring is to go through it every couple of months and make sure you don't have any "lurkers'. Lurkers are items that just hang around your closet, but are never actually worn. Maybe it's an old dress that you bought for a special event, and you haven't actually worn for three years. Maybe it's a t-shirt that fits a little too tight under the arms. Either way, if you haven't worn it in 6 months or more, it's a lurker. You have two options: you can stash it away in a box for another 2 or 3 months and see if you think about at all. If not, it's time for that item to go. You're never going to wear it. your other option is to just get rid of it right away. If it is still in good condition, why not consider donating it?




Dress with a theme in mind
No, I'm not talking Star Wars. Rather, pick a theme of texture, color, or pattern when getting dressed. When getting dressed, look at your closet and single out one item you know you want to wear that day. What color is it? What sort of texture does it have? Is there a pattern? Choose which characteristic you are going to go by that day (such as pattern), and give it a whirl. Shy about mixing patterns? Don't be! Simply look for repeating colors, and varying size. Giving yourself little challenges like these will help you to see your closet in ways you might not have otherwise. It will keep you excited about getting dressed in the morning too. Remember: you don't have to purchase new things to keep your closest feeling new!




What do you think? Are you going to give any of these suggestions a try? Photobucket


So how did you like her post?? Tell me in the comments.

15 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me as a guest Swarnali! It was such a fun post to create.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha dang it, Amber! I was all excited for my Star Wars themed outfit! I was SURE that is what you meant! ;)

    This is an awesome guest post. I am in desperate need for some closet rearranging advice. Both of my closets (well, my closet and then Rian's, which I have selfishly and slowly converted into mine over the years) are in utter chaos. It's embarrassing. Most of it has to do with me being lazy and me being a hoarder. I'm queen of the Lurkers. I have a million size 0's that I'm pretty sure are NEVER going to fit me ever again. Ever.

    Oh I'm gonna cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I have almost the same situation...I have a zillion new clothes that I bought but they don't fit me!! I seriously need some wardrobe clearing now!! Amber's post came in perfect time.

      Delete
  3. That's a really lovely post!!! I also do the color-wise organizing thing, and I have stored the list of colors to avoid on my mobile phone :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I need to start doing the same soon!!

      Delete
  4. what a FAB post!! My wardrobe is in some serious need of SOS! lol so I'll definitely be bookmakring this page and saving that '50 classics for your closet' image! Thanks to Amber for putting together a great article!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the best posts I have read in a while. Thanks for all of this helpful advice. I enjoyed reading about organizing the closet and 50 classics for your closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for dropping by and leaving your comment :)

      Delete
  6. Nous vous remercions de votre grand poste! L'information Gilet Femme Crochet de cette collection a obtenu un usage intensif à moi!
    !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your post.... Buy online, good Selection of Pencil Skirts for women, Find the perfect pencil dress or skirt today at amazing prices in uk. We have a huge collection of women's dresses.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for passing by and please do leave your valuable comments,they mean a lot to us. Please make sure you leave your blog link or your mail id so that we can get back to you.